This is the first draft of a compilation of book titles (in English) useful for delineating the contours of group identity
and collective responsibility
in its various dimensions: metaphysical (and/or ontological), epistemic, psychosocial, moral, and legal. The list endeavors to represent the crème de la crème
of the (fairly recent) relevant literature, so it’s not intended to be comprehensive, let alone exhaustive. I welcome suggestions for additional titles.
- Appiah, Kwame Anthony. The Ethics of Identity. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2005.
- Bion, W.R. Experiences in Groups, and other papers. London: Tavistock/Routledge, 1961.
- Brewer, Marilynn B. Intergroup Relations. Philadelphia, PA: Open University Press, 2nd ed., 2003.
- Brown, Rupert. Group Processes: Dynamics Within and Between Groups. Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2nd ed., 2000.
- Burkitt, Ian. Social Selves: Theories of Self and Society. London: Sage, 2nd ed., 2008.
- Cane, Peter. Responsibility in Law and Morality. Oxford, UK: Hart, 2002.
- Casals, Neus Torbisco. Group Rights as Human Rights: a Liberal Approach to Multiculturalism. Dordrecht: Kluwer, 2006.
- Dalal. Farhad. Taking the Group Seriously: Towards a Post-Foulkesian Group Analytic Theory. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 1998.
- Erskine, Toni, ed. Can Institutions Have Responsibilities? Collective Moral Agency and International Relations. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2003.
- French, Peter A. Collective and Corporate Responsibility. New York: Columbia University Press, 1984.
- French, Peter A. and Howard K. Wettstein, eds. Shared Intentions and Collective Responsibility. Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2006.
- Gilbert, Margaret. A Theory of Political Obligation: Membership, Commitment, and the Bonds of Society. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Goldman, Alvin I. Knowledge in a Social World. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Goodin, Robert E. Protecting the Vulnerable: A Reanalysis of Our Social Responsibilities. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 1985.
- Goodin, Robert E. Utilitarianism as a Public Philosophy. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1995.
- Graham, Keith. Practical Reasoning in a Social World: How We Act Together. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Hinshelwood, R.D. What Happens in Groups: Psychoanalysis, the Individual, and the Community. London: Free Association Books, 1987.
- Hogg, Michael A. and Scott Tindale, eds. Blackwell Handbook of Social Psychology: Group Processes. Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2001.
- Ingram, David. Group Rights: Reconciling Equality and Difference. Lawrence, KS: University of Kansas Press, 2000.
- Isaacs, Tracy. Moral Responsibility in Collective Contexts. New York: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Kakar, Sudhir. The Colors of Violence: Cultural Identities, Religion, and Conflict. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 1996.
- Kernberg, Offo F. Ideology, Conflict, and Leadership in Groups and Organizations. New York: New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1998.
- Kutz, Christopher. Complicity: Ethics and Law for a Collective Age. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- List, Christian and Philip Pettit. Group Agency: The Possibility, Design, and Status of Corporate Agents. New York: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- May, Larry. The Morality of Groups: Collective Responsibility, Group-Based Harm, Corporate Rights. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 1987.
- May, Larry. Sharing Responsibility. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 1992.
- May, Larry. Crimes Against Humanity: A Normative Account. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- May, Larry and Stacey Hoffman, eds. Collective Responsibility: Five Decades of Debate in Theoretical and Applied Ethics. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 1991.
- McMahon, Christopher. Collective Rationality and Collective Reasoning. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- Miller, Richard W. Globalizing Justice: The Ethics of Poverty and Power. New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Miller, Seumas. The Moral Foundations of Social Institutions. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Ruben, David-Hillel. The Metaphysics of the Social World. London: Routledge, 1985.
- Schmitt, Frederick F., ed. Socializing Metaphysics: The Nature of Social Reality. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2003.
- Searle, John R. The Construction of Social Reality. New York: The Free Press, 1995.
- Tuomela, Raimo. The Importance of Us: A Philosophical Study of Basic Social Notions. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1995.
- Tuomela, Raimo. The Philosophy of Social Practices: A Collective Acceptance View. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Tuomela, Raimo. The Philosophy of Sociality: The Shared Point of View. New York: Oxford University Press, 2007.
Vanessa Bell (née Stephen) (1879-1961) – c. 1943 The Memoir Club
(National Portrait Gallery, London
). The Memoir Club (Bloomsbury Group): Duncan Grant; Leonard Woolf; Vanessa Bell; Clive Bell; David Garnett; Baron Keynes; Lydia Lopokova; Sir Desmond MacCarthy; Mary MacCarthy; Quentin Bell; and E. M. Forster.